Friday, January 11, 2013

5 Question Friday

It’s Friday!!  Woo hoo!!  It’s been a long week and this momma is tired.  Who knew scheduling therapies, mom/daughter time, mom/son time, mommy time, meals for the next week etc. could be so very exhausting.  I came home yesterday and slept for 30 minutes on the couch after getting the kids from school.  So much for this momma going for a run.  And tonight is Thing 1’s family/friends birthday party as it got rained out earlier this week.  Can I skip it?  I just want to hibernate or go for a run uninterrupted. 

Anyway its time for #5QF with Mama M over at My Little Life.  Below are are rules for 5QF.  Come on and join us….you know you want to.  I can’t wait to read your replies!!

5qf

Rules for 5QF: Copy and paste the following questions to your blog post, answer them, then watch for the linky post to appear Friday morning on Mama M’s page and LINK UP!

1. Flu mist? Flu shot? Or take your chances?

Thing 1 got the flu shot this year and Thing 2 got flu mist this year.  It was the first time they both they got either.  As for myself I am just taking my chances this year…horrible I know but if one of the kids comes down with it despite the shot/mist it doesn’t matter I will still get it.  Besides it maybe the only time I get some rest…lol 

Hey don’t laugh I am one sleep deprived momma and I am not joking about the rest part….lol


2. Do your kids have iPads? What are some good educational apps? Price?

Okay so this was my question for @MamaM yesterday on twitter. Why? Well the school district that my kids go to gave all the kids 1st-12th grade iPads and all the pre-k to Kinder iTouch.  And they get to keep them year round too.  You can read about all about it here, or here, or even here

Some of the good educational apps that I have found for the kids are Math Blaster (its more for 3 grade and up) (free) I used to have this on our PC when it first came out.  For boys who love video games this is a great app to help them with their math skills.  EpicWin (which you can read about more here) is an AWESOME app for any kid to help them with organization.  It is the ONLY app that I have actually spent money on for either of the kids and we actually have this app written into Thing 1’s IEP as a tool he can use.  As for my last app I have to say Magic Piano by sumule. I really love the Magic Piano app (free) because it introduces all sorts of music to the kids and they hear classical pieces while they are playing them.  It’s a game and for my ADHD/Autistic child it makes him slow down and concentrate.  Plus he’s finding out how much he likes Mussorgsky, Beethoven, and Chopin.  He is his momma’s child.  Plus its super cute to see both kids trying to play the same song at the same time without messing up.  And they get new songs everyday. 


3. What are your favorite boy/girl baby names?

Well if I was to ever have another child (and I honestly don’t see that happening anytime soon for a variety of reasons), my top 2 for each would be:

Boy-  Thomas Nathaniel or Russell Ellis (both of my Grandfather’s middle names)

Girl- Rebecca Allyson (its my mom’s name switched) or Evelyn Ella-Rebecca (my maternal Grandmother’s first name, my paternal grandmother’s first name and my mom’s middle name)

I like classic names and I love to use family names.  Both of the kids are named after people in my family.  Thing 1 has both his Grandfather’s names and Thing 2 has my Aunt’s first name and my middle name.


4. If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, which apple do you choose to eat? (red/green, gala, red delicious...)

I’m lucky if I get to eat an apple!  Thing 1 eats them before everyone else.  The boy can go through a 5lb bag in 2-3 days!!  And no I am not kidding about this…lol  If I do get to eat one I like Granny Smith or Red Delicious. But if I am using them to cook with I use Gala. 


5. What is your favorite place to escape to for peace & quiet, to think? Why?

Peace and quiet?  I think the back porch or I will try to go on a run. Or there is the ever present retreat to the shower move…lol

The back porch is mainly me “ah the kids are asleep for now and I have a glass of wine” relax after a crazy day retreat.  The run or the shower is for those “If I don’t get away I will have a meltdown along with my child” rough ADHD/Autistic meltdown, nothing can go right days.  Those are the the times that I get to cry and ask God to remind me why I am having to go through this alone and I don’t think I can go on anymore.  Of course I always feel better afterwards. 

 

The Single Mom

4 comments:

  1. Showing some 5QF love! First time ever stopping by. I love how you call your kids Thing 1 and Thing 2. So cute! Wish I could retreat to a back porch. That would be wonderful. But alas, I don't, so finding a quiet spot is all I hope for right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Follower! Found you on My Little Life.. Love your answers! When you have time, stop by my blog at kjaggers.com and if you like what you see.. follow back! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back porch. Sounds so lovely...in MN back porches are either bitterly cold or mosquito infested. It's those 10,000 lakes that keep me here. ;)

    ReplyDelete